Saturday, March 12, 2011

On Cast Iron Pans

I was spoiled on cast iron pans, cooking at Devin's house. They were non-stick to the point that they beat any coated pan I'd tried, and you could throw big handful of cold ingredients and not get everything all cold and soupy.

Point is, when you buy a new one, the surface is rough from what I presume is green sand casting with no surface treatment afterwards ("pre-seasoned" or not). Devin's pans were from his grandfolks, and had decades of seasoning behind them, built up carbon. It takes time to fill in all those nooks and crannies and get a good layer of black rust.

To that end, I've decided anything I can cook in my skillet (thanks Mrs. Monteiro) I will, until it is perfect.

Well, on that note: I made an omelette this morning and it flipped just fine.

ba-DOOOOONGah.

No comments:

Post a Comment